The Great East 2021 has been cancelled due to the ongoing impacts of the Covd 19 pandemic.
Option of transport before the ride from Orbost to Bairnsdale for riders and bikes. This will suit riders from ACT / NSW as Orbost is the closest end of the trail for you.
Ride start 11.00 am after 10.30 briefing. We may amend the ride start to meet pandemic related social distancing requirements.
Lunch: Picnic at Nicholson River Winery
Dinner: Bruthen Inn Hotel.
Camping: Bruthen Caravan Park, on the banks of the Tambo River.
Extra Sweat: We have found that day 1 is busy enough without an Extra Sweat. If this makes you sad, visit HQ at the campsite for a secret map of the trails to be found to the north of town....
- Riding over the Nicholson River on the original rail bridge.
- Lunch at Nicholson River Winery
- Gorgeous views over the Tambo River Valley farmland.
- Bruthen's eclectic mix of art galleries,retro shops and watering / eating places.
Friday night in Bruthen
Bruthen Arts and Festival Council, the local entertainment experts are putting on a evening of entertainment for us.
Bruthen – Nowa Nowa, 27 km
Breakfast: On site in our campground in Bruthen next to the river.
Lunch: at Nowa Nowa, by the lake and at the rides end.
Dinner: At our campsite at Mingling Waters.
Camping: Mingling Waters and Nowa Nowa Camp Parks.
Extra Sweat: The Gippsland Lakes Discovery Trail, meandering along Mississippi Creek, back to the Rail Trail via quiet forestry roads. Adds 18 km. You can also explore the Nowa Nowa Mountain Bike Park.
- Stony Creek Trestle Bridge – 200 m long
- Nowa Nowa walking tracks to a gorge lookout and along the lake
- The Discovery Trail Extra Sweat – a total gem of a ride
- Reaching Bruces Rd crossing at the top of a (gentle) but consistent 7 km climb!
There is so much happening on Saturday afternoon in Nowa Nowa that we will have a whole page to tell you what's on!
Nowa Nowa – Orbost 40 km
Breakfast: by Mingling Waters Café.
Lunch: in Orbost, in the park at the rides end.
Extra Sweat: Short and sweet but guaranteed to raise a sweat. From the official start of the Rail Trail 3 km out of Orbost, take the Old Coach Road up the hill and then along to Grandview lookout for knockout views across the floodplain, over the town to the mountains behind.The come and explore the short path to the start of the long timber former rail bridge. Add up to 4 km.
Ride finish: Transport for bikes and riders back to Bairnsdale, departs 2.30 pm, arrives Bairnsdale 4.00 pm. This transport option may be adapted in line with restrictions due to Covid 19
- The curving rail bridge in Wairewa valley
- Ride over the Snowy River, after crossing its super fertile floodplain.
- The long, long timber viaduct stretching across the floodplain.
Great East Best Things:
“Well organised, friendly fun environment with great food. Best aspects scenery and amazing environment.“
“Loved the winery and the food there, ditto Bruthen pub food. Loved the first stint, breathaking scenery.“
“Thanks Liz and staff a fantastic event, enjoyed it immensely.“
Past Great East Riders